Federal Monitoring Objectives and Values
Section 107(a) of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended by Title IV of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act is the basis for RSA to conduct annual reviews and period on-site monitoring of programs authorized under Title I of the Rehabilitation Act.
The objective of monitoring is to support State VR agencies and RSA in improving results for individuals with disabilities seeking high-quality competitive integrated employment by responding to the unique needs and challenges of individual agencies. Fundamental to this monitoring approach are values shared by RSA and its State partners. RSA is committed to these values as it partners with State VR agencies in the conduct of monitoring to foster continuous improvement in outcomes for individuals with disabilities. As such, RSA’s monitoring:
- Values and supports the Federal/State partnership;
- Focuses on areas designed to meet the needs of State VR agencies and RSA;
- Addresses the characteristics and circumstances of individual VR agencies with respect to the areas reviewed and the conduct of the monitoring;
- Fosters transparent and thoughtful verbal and written communication;
- Promotes the use of and improves the validity and reliability of programmatic and fiscal data;
- Makes efficient and effective use of RSA and State VR agency personnel and time devoted to the process;
- Delivers accurate, targeted, purposeful, and timely technical assistance, balanced with the need to assure compliance with fiscal and programmatic requirements;
- Maximizes results for VR participants;
- Leads to continuous improvement in the VR program; and
- Supports alignment of the public workforce system monitoring protocols and provides emphasis on coordination and collaboration at the Federal and State levels in evaluating and reporting performance and compliance across the core programs.
The VRTAC-QM, in partnership with CSAVR, facilitates a Community of Practice that assists State Vocational Rehabilitation Agencies to prepare for RSA monitoring. You can view our CoP webpage for the latest information and to access monitoring tools.